Saturday, July 26, 2008

Carpet and 土足厳禁 (no shoes allowed)

It's quite common to leave shoes at the entrance before entering the house for Asians.

In fact, it'd be unrespectful to the host if you didn't show sign of taking off your shoes at the entrance until you are told no need to do so when visiting someone.

This is a social etiquette in Japan, and an accepted practice in Malaysia too. For houses that allow shoes, I haven't found one that has carpet through out. It make sense to me because without a carpet makes it easier to sweep and mop the floor in order to remove the dirt brought in by the shoes.

What I find interesting, but yet to understand the reason, is that my Kiwi friends did not take off their shoes when they walked into my house in Auckland.

Before vacating my current rented property, I need to engage a professional carpet cleaner nominated by the realestate agency to clean the carpet in the living hall and all the rooms. Yesterday, when the carpet cleaner, a friendly white middle age lady, came over to clean the carpet, she too did not take off her shoes even though I took off mine before her while entering the dwelling.

Interesting cultural difference eh?

1 comment:

michaelongline said...

When I was in college, this American friend came over and not only wore his shoes in the house, he jumped into my bed with his shoes on, facing my pillows! Yikes! Now, I just tell my guests as soon as they enter the house that this is a no-shoe zone. Even then, I had one guest (a co-worker's boyfriend) said to me, "I'd rather not."